Linux v3 crashes when play sound "pygame.error: No available audio device"
When I click the play button to play an audio sample, Artemis crashes. I get this error in the console:
pygame.error: No available audio device
My system definitely has audio. any ideas?
Hi sillystix, we just compiled the new version yesterday after several tests. Audio is managed by pygame that use the default sound card (at the moment; we are planning to implement the selection of the audio device in future). We tried Artemis 3.0.1 with Fedora 30/28 and Ubuntu 18.04 and the last version available with the default audio driver and on different machines: we didn't find any problem related to audio reproduction. However, after a quick search, this seems to be a bad configuration of you audio card on Linux. For example, check this thread: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/85967/pygame-error-no-available-audio-device
Check your alsa.conf and .asoundrc file, only one of them needs to be configured with your audio setup.
I setup my audio in both files which caused the confusion, once I restored alsa.conf to default, the problem is gone.
Another possible solution is here: https://github.com/br007/Hot-in-Hurr/issues/1 . In the latter case, there was a lack of some library related to the management of hardware components, like audio cards. In every case that I found, the problem was solved with a different configuration of the audio system or installing/reinstalling the correct audio driver. Try to check your audio devices with:
and check the alsa.conf and .asoundrc file
Hi, I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed 64. I created an alsa.conf to set the default device, but it didn't help.
Then I tried the git version. If I run directly from the src folder with python3 it works. So it must be some environment variable or setting that alsa needs as you say. I will just stick with the git version for now.
mmm we will investigate...
The management of the audio card is correctly done by the specific library (pygame), but it seems that the creation of the bundle, in a particular case, create problems. I will try to download and set up a virtual machine with openSUSE Tumbleweed to understand what is going wrong. If I'm lucky enough, I'll be able to reproduce the issue...