AresValley
Linux v3 crashes wh...

Linux v3 crashes when play sound "pygame.error: No available audio device"  

RSS

sillystix
(@sillystix)
01/08/2019 7:17 am  

Linux v3.01

When I click the play button to play an audio sample, Artemis crashes. I get this error in the console:

pygame.error: No available audio device

My system definitely has audio. any ideas?

MarcoDT
(@marcodt)
Member Admin
01/08/2019 8:04 am  

Hi sillystix, we just compiled the new version yesterday after several tests. Audio is managed by pygame that use the default sound card (at the moment; we are planning to implement the selection of the audio device in future). We tried Artemis 3.0.1 with Fedora 30/28 and Ubuntu 18.04 and the last version available with the default audio driver and on different machines: we didn't find any problem related to audio reproduction. However, after a quick search, this seems to be a bad configuration of you audio card on Linux. For example, check this thread: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/85967/pygame-error-no-available-audio-device

Check your alsa.conf and .asoundrc file, only one of them needs to be configured with your audio setup.

I setup my audio in both files which caused the confusion, once I restored alsa.conf to default, the problem is gone.

Another possible solution is here: https://github.com/br007/Hot-in-Hurr/issues/1 . In the latter case, there was a lack of some library related to the management of hardware components, like audio cards. In every case that I found, the problem was solved with a different configuration of the audio system or installing/reinstalling the correct audio driver. Try to check your audio devices with:

aplay -l

and check the alsa.conf and .asoundrc file

ReplyQuote
sillystix
(@sillystix)
01/08/2019 10:21 pm  

Hi, I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed 64. I created an alsa.conf to set the default device, but it didn't help.

Then I tried the git version. If I run directly from the src folder with python3 it works. So it must be some environment variable or setting that alsa needs as you say. I will just stick with the git version for now.

thanks

ReplyQuote
MarcoDT
(@marcodt)
Member Admin
10/08/2019 8:13 pm  

@sillystix

mmm we will investigate...

The management of the audio card is correctly done by the specific library (pygame), but it seems that the creation of the bundle, in a particular case, create problems. I will try to download and set up a virtual machine with openSUSE Tumbleweed to understand what is going wrong. If I'm lucky enough, I'll be able to reproduce the issue... 

This post was modified 3 months ago by MarcoDT

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register